Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Knitting Projects

Home again. And I did get some knitting done in Tennessee. These are the adorable Maryjanes I have now completed for Meredith's daughter, Devon. I ran out of the red yarn just before it was time to make the strap of the second one, so I tried using my red eyelash yarn (see red rope, below) but it was a disaster. So last night I spent an hour with the scissors and a lighted magnifier, cutting it off. There just is no frogging eyelash yarn. Not worth the trouble. But I'm glad I saved these, I think they look great!

This is the third pair of socks I've started. I did finish the first two. This one is taking forever, because 1) I'm using size 1 dpns, and 2) they are for my husband. He has an extra wide foot. These socks are 76 stitches around. So it's easy to get bored and set them aside. However, I have completed the first one, as you can see, and the plane ride home and my BART ride to and from San Francisco today got me as far as you see here on the second sock. On size 3 needles I'd probably have finished a whole sock in that time! I shall perservere, and after this, probably retire my size 1 dpns until I am seized with another fit of insanity.

Here's the Christmas sock I am making on size 3's as a respite from the 1's. I have started the second, and put arrows showing my clever little trick. All my socks are being made with the short-rows toe up technique, which I learned from Ellen Graves in her class at Skein Lane in El Cerrito. However, I have discovered that if I use a marker after each wrapped stitch, I neither have to count, or be able to tell what my wrapped stitch looks like. I just knit to the marker, and then wrap the stitch right before it on the way to the top of the toe, or knit the stitch after it and wrap the next one on the way back, replacing the marker in front of each wrapped stitch. This cotton has no elastic, but I have had this yarn for years, so I thought, what the hell, I might as well use it.

Here's another neverending project. I ordered yarn for this two months before my son Andrew's birthday. I thought I could whip it out in time for his present. It arrived two weeks before his birthday... in January. Here it is May, and I'm down to the last few stripes. The weather is getting warm, now. This is going to make a lovely drawer liner. But the colors are Gryffindor, so he's excited about getting it, anyway.


And my last WIP, a fuzzy red rope. My friend Jan couldn't understand what in the world I was making this for. I told her it was for Jaya. It won't leave any marks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those socks rock, Sharon.
I love what you did to the Mary Janes. They look great!

Earin Marybird said...

What's wrong with leaving marks she wonders... : - )

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»