Thursday, November 23, 2006

Holiday Knitting


The Irish hiking scarf is done. I altered the pattern to include a slit, so it can lie flat. I think it turned out well, the wool is very warm. The cables are almost lost in the variegations of the yarn, but it is still lovely.I have someone in mind to receive this scarf. I think it will make a good Christmas present.

Here's my latest accomplishment. Two socks at once!!!! I am thrilled with this technique. This is a 40" circular needle, #2, and both socks are cast on at once. Then you knit around and around the big circle, moving the needles along as you go. This is the 'magic loop' technique. I am SOLD. This is the way to make socks.

You can use this technique for top down or toe up socks, and any pattern. I'm using Cascade Fixation yarn, and I've used one of the four stitch patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks, Elongated Corded Rib. It was pretty easy to get the hang of this pattern, especially after I tackled the zig zag hat.

This picture is a bit blurry, but you can make out the the zig zags.

I haven't bought the yarn for my Cardigan for Arwen yet. I think I'm going to get the Swish Superwash from Knitpicks in Dublin (that's the color... it's green of course), but I haven't absolutely decided yet. Soon. Let me finish a few of these things first!

1 comment:

Earin Marybird said...

I don't know, the scarf looks so good on you I think you should keep it. I am impressed with the slit idea. That is really clever (not that I don't know you to be a clever girl!). Good job!