Friday, October 20, 2006

On the needles

Here's the Irish Hiking Scarf. This is just over one skein's worth, about 2 feet. I'm using size 8 needles. It's hard to see the cables in this photo, but it has a wonderful texture. This is a dense scarf, knitted with Manos handspun handpainted yarn in a gorgeous colorway. I may make it short, like 4 feet, and use my last skein for a hat or ear-band.

This 'necklace' was knitted with 'squiggle' yarn by Crystal Palace... on the drive down to San Diego! We went to Encinitas for Bob Hudson's wedding. Bob is Jaya's jujitsu sensei. What happened was.... I had begun to make a scarf from this yarn, and I wanted to wear it before it was finished. So I just pinned up the open stitches on a safety pin, and tucked the extra yarn into my bra, and wore the scarf with this outfit. Well, that was in January, and I wanted to finish it before I wore it again. So, in the car, on the way down, I tried to pick up the stitches I had pinned. Maybe because it was in the car, or maybe because it was squiggle yarn.. which is really just THREAD with squiggly fat bits hanging from it... I couldn't do it. So instead, I knitted from the other end, and made a loop about ten stitches wide on size 15 needles. I made it long enough to wear, and knitted the ends together, so it really is a necklace. Then I frogged the rest of the squiggle, and I will put it together with something else when I use it.. that will be a LOT easier to manage!

Look! The Caesar's Check mosaic sock from Sensational Knitted Socks is done! Well, one of them is done. And I have started the second one. And look! it fits! this pattern has been so much fun to knit. I like this heel, too.


And last but not least....

The shrug still isn't done. I look like I'm zoned out here, knitting away. I just have a little more to do. Then I'm going to try it on, and if I determine I JUST DON'T LIKE IT, as I'm afraid I will, it will go into my frog pond, and wait for new inspiration.

Oh, there's one other thing... I'm making a cabled hat from the zig zag pattern on Knitty.com. It's coming out quite well, but I don't have a picture yet.

I'm off to Penn Valley tomorrow to visit my friend Earin. I'm taking ALL my knitting, and plan to visit several yarn stores!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great SOCKS! and I love the knitted necklace.