Sunday, July 23, 2006

Announcement!

I am turning 50 this year in September, and Jaya and I are throwing a big birthday bash on at Cafe de la Paz in Berkeley. I am sending out my Save The Date emails, hope to get it all done before we go off to Lark in the Morning music camp.

I am planning a GREAT party, one not to miss! If you don't know this restaurant, you should. The food is fantastic. So, that's ONE reason to come. I am having a great band, Greenbridge, play. Tim Hart on whistle and bodhran, Michael Mullen on fiddle and guitar, and Tom Wagner on guitar and vocals. Michael does vocals too, and I've asked him to sing Isn't it Grand at the party.

Next, the White Rats Morris team are going to dance. When Jaya first saw morris dancing, he said, "Oh! It's Monty Python cheerleading." And for most morris teams, that's pretty accurate. But the rats bring a bit more to it, as you'll see. Their costumes, for one thing, are not the traditional morris garb. I'm glad I have become involved with the team as a musician (or Muso) and I've been very impressed with their dedication and skill.

After the rats perform, the party will continue with a regular open irish/celtic music session. Dancers are welcome to dance, singers are welcome to particpate, sangria will flow and great food will be available throughout.

Now before you all go shopping for a great birthday present for me, I have decided to ask folks to contribute a charitable donation instead of bringing a gift. I have chosen the Family Path organization (formerly Parental Stress Service), where Shay Black is
Administrative Program Supervisor. This group offers a 24-hour Family Support Resource Hotline, a 24-hour Foster Parent Advice Line, Emergency Respite Child Care, CalWORKS support counseling and Positive Parenting Classes. They also provide counseling for infants, children, adolescents adults and families.

Shay helped produce a cd a couple years ago celebrating the parent-child relationship, “Hold My Hand”. This includes contributions from such noted artists as Joan Baez, Mary Black, John McCutcheon,
Maria Muldaur, Steve Seskin, Linda Tillery, and others. The cd will be available at the party for a contribution of $20 or more.

I'm very excited to be beginning the second half of my own personal century on this planet. Gathering friends together to share music and good times is the best way I can think of to get it started.

No comments: