Sunday, June 11, 2006

Knitting Update

I continued knitting the second Jaya sock at Ardenwood. Another inch or so, and it will be time to make the heel. Size one needles make this project very slow, and when I do finish, they will be a pair of warm wool winter socks. Jaya won't be able to wear them until it starts getting cold, anyway, so I'm not in a super hurry.

Here's the second sock next to it's future owner.


And now, on to some exciting news... the felting of the entrelac bag!!!

Here is a photo of the completed bag, before felting. I put it on paper, and drew an outline around the bag, so you will have a reference.


As you can see here, the bag is quite large (about 30 inches across if you were to stretch it out) with a loose knit.

After I took the picture, Dean decided he would try the 'needle method' of felting.

I didn't let him get very far with this, but I think he would have continued as long as I allowed it!


Here is Dean, before I shooed him away. Very industrious, isn't he?



I put the bag inside a pillowcase, and then into the washing machine with some other clothes to balance the machine. Short wash, hot water wash, cold rinse. I just set it on the maximum time, which is 18 minutes agitation in my washing machine, and let it go for the full cycle. Here's what came out! It is a bit bigger than I was expecting, but the felting worked great, nice and tight.

Then, I stuffed the bag with plastic bags, to get the nice round shape I want. I just have to let it dry that way, and it will be a perfect round basket to carry my projects in. I may make another, smaller one for my socks.




The only problem with this is, I didn't make the handles yet. I was impatient to see what the felting would do, and I thought I could put them in later. However, now I can't find all the holes I made in which to insert the handles! They have felted up too tightly to find!

I shall have to poke new ones after I get the handles done. Next time, I guess I need to make everything and assemble it before I do the felting.

I'm really enjoying the felted results of this bag. What a difference!

2 comments:

Earin Marybird said...

It looks a little like Jaya passed out from joy over his sock! Your bag looks great. I would have been so nervous when washing it. I'm not surprised your holes disappeared after you felted though. I hope it isn't hard to poke new ones.

Anonymous said...

Hi earin marybird and sharon,
the bag looks wonderful. I want to do one. Maybe a simpler one though.
I am within a row or two of binding off the second sock. (smiley face saying yipee yipee) and have more sock yarn ordered.I can't believe I am knitting in June.
Found my sack of hats I did last January and hate it that I didn't think to show them to you.
I LOVE the pictures you post.
Love, Mom